Career & Vocational Training Guide
Enrolling in an online course of study will enable you to participate in a vocational training program via distance learning delivery, and your educational requirements will depend on which vocational course of study you select. There are typically two groups of educational requirements --- general education requirements and required core subjects.
Online trade certificate programs offer both working adults and full-time students an excellent opportunity to earn a trade certificate while maintaining scheduling flexibility and earning their certificate in a shorter time period than what they would usually encounter with on-campus attendance. There are numerous certificate programs available in which you can receive training for your trade of choice, but the primary areas of study are the following:
- Animal Care
- Forestry and Wildlife
- Home Inspection
- Home Repair
As was mentioned above, there are numerous certificate programs. If you did not see a technical trade that relates to your field of interest, return to the main landing page and do a more specific search in order to find the program of your choice.
Depending on the particular certificate program that you are pursuing, there are typically three requirement levels for an online vocational education. These are broken down and listed by classification of educational requirement and the required subjects in each area.
General Education Requirements
- Art and Humanities
- Cultural Studies
- English Composition
- Foreign Language
- Natural Science and Lab
- Social Science
Required Core Subjects
Your required core subjects will depend on the particular trade certificate that you are trying to earn. For instance, if you are looking at earning a certificate in Home Inspection so that you can be a Home Inspector, your core subjects might include:
- Cooling, Electrical, Heating, and Plumbing Systems
- Damage Detection (i.e. insect, mold, moisture, etc.)
- Exterior and Interior Structural Integrity
- Flooring, Roofs, and Windows
An online vocational program for earning a trade certificate will create numerous career opportunities depending on your field of interest. You have the option of starting a new career, changing careers, or enhancing your skills in your current vocation. The bottom line is that this will give you an opportunity to increase your income potential.
The following is a list of some of the many career possibilities that could be available to you based on the particular trade certificate you achieve:
- Carpentry - Cabinet Maker, Carpenter, Furniture Maker
- Electrical - Electrician, Electronics Technician, Telecommunications Technician
- Forestry and Wildlife - Conservation Biologists, Fish and Wildlife Management, Forest Ecologist, Forest Ranger, Park Ranger, Wildlife Law Enforcement
- Gunsmithing - Firearms Repair, Gunsmith
- Home Inspection - Home Inspector
- Home Repair - Carpenters, Home Alteration and Improvement, Home Remodelling, Home Repair
- HVAC - Appliance Repairman, HVAC Technician
- Locksmithing - Locksmith (automotive, commercial, industrial, residential), Master Key Locksmith, Safe Technician Locksmith
- Plumbing - Pipefitter, Pipelayer, Plumber, Sprinklerfitter, Steamfitter